(last updated March 25, 2017)
Virtual Reality Dance Film (2016 - Present)
- 2016-17 The DanceLab Residency, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- Exploring what VR can offer to dance presentation by placing the audience in the centre of the performance in an immersive environment.
- Process includes developing new ways of choreographing, directing, and filming for a 360 spatial environment through public dialogue, screenings, 360 choreography workshops and open studio sessions.
- Final VR dance film scheduled to be production fall 2017
MODALmix (2014 - Present)
- New media art collective founded by Nancy Lee and Kiran Bhumber based in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Creates participatory new media art and performances integrating sensor technology, sound, video, sculpture and textile installations.
- Objective is to broaden interdisciplinary research within the context of contemporary performance practice and new forms of electronic art.
- Emphasis is placed on the interaction between people and installation interfaces to generate and manipulate audio-visual content.
Asian-Canadian communities’ oral history documentation (2010 - 2016)
- Documentation of Asian-Canadian narratives through film
- Research topics: Asian sexuality in a Western context, intergenerational relationships, multicultural households, and media representation.
2015 Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, Burnaby, BC, Canada.
- Introduction to Modern Dance
2014 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Bachelor of Science in Global Resource Systems
- Specializations in International Development and Asia-Pacific region.
2014 British Columbia Institute of Technology, Vancouver, BC.
- Marketing and Communication courses
2010 Exchange Program, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
- Concentration in gender and media anthropology
Awards and Scholarships
- 2017 LA Film Review, Independent Film Award, bronze for “Faux Solo”
- 2017 Short.Sweet.Film Fest. (Ohio) Best Experimental Film for “Faux Solo”
- 2016 Canada Council of the Arts Travel Grant
- 2016 Festival of Recorded Movement Youth Commissioning Fund Award for “Faux Solo”
- 2015 BC Arts Council Project Assistance Grant for “Pendula”
- 2014 UBC Global Health and Innovation Conference Travel Award
- 2013 First place winner of United Ways’ Care to Change PSA video competition
- 2013 Bass Coast music video competition finalist
- 2012 Asia Pacific Foundation National Conversation on Asia Video Award
- 2012 First place winner of UBC Arts Instructional Support and Information Technology videography competition
- 2011 UBC International Service Learning Award
- 2009 UBC Go Global Award
- 2006 President’s Entrance Scholarship
“VR Dance Film”, Creative Collaboration: a panel discussion and sharing of works in progress moderated by Peter Dickinson, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, March 31st, 2017.
VR Dance Film: Research & Process”, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, January 21st, 2017.
“Speaker Panel: The Social Good of Partying”, Vancouver Mural Festival, moderated by Shad, The Fox Cabaret, August 20th, 2016.
“Pendula: An Interactive Installation and Performance Instrument” (2016) – New Interfaces for Musical Expressions, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia, July 13th, 2016.
“Pendula” (2015) – Third Annual Eelctroacoustic Music Festival Experts Panel, The Western Front, Vancouver, November 21st, 2015.
“Pendula” (2015) – 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA 2015), Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, August 22nd, 2015.
“Experimenting with Space at The AIDS Support Organisation’s Childcare Centre” (2011) – UBC Community Service Learning Program and UBC International Service Learning Program presents “From There to Here: Stories of Growth in Community”, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, November 3rd, 2011.
Bhumber, Kiran, Lee, Nancy, and Topp, Brian. (2016) “Pendula: An Interactive Installation and Performance Instrument” (2015) – New Interfaces for Musical Expressions Paper Proceedings 2016, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
Lee, Nancy. “Swings Trigger Childhood Memories -- And a Unique Vancouver Project”, Huffington Post Canada, June 19th, 2015.
Residencies & Fellowships
- June 2017-September 2017: Brief Encounters Gastown, Vancouver, BC.
- September 2016-2017: The DanceLab Interdisciplinary Residency, The Dance Centre, Vancouver, BC
- August 2016: 21st Century Renaissance Artist Residency, Ismaili Centre, Burnaby, BC
- February 2015-April 2015: Unite For Sight Global Impact Fellowship, Photographer & Filmmaker for Pranav Eye Care Hospital in Chennai, India.
Music Video: Writer / Producer /Director
- “Swirl” by I M U R (2017 WIP), I M U R music, Vancouver, BC
- “Untangling” by Eli Muro (2017), Jellyfish Recordings, Vancouver, BC
- “Dreamers” by WILLA (2016), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “The Flood” by Joshua Hyslop (2015), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Let It Go” by Joshua Hyslop (2015, Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Young Again” by Young Liars (2015), Nettwerk Music Group, Vancouver, BC
- “Don’t You Worry” by Kline & Oshea Adams, remixed by Self Evident (2014), Low Indigo, Vancouver, BC
- “Retrogrades” by #XI (2014), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “Delicate” by Sundays (2013), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “World We Own” by Sundays (2013), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
- “Heartless” by Kline (2013), Low Indigo, Vancouver, BC
- “Love Thought” by Friends with the Help (2012), Stoop Fam Records, Vancouver, BC
Short Film & Commercial: Writer / Producer / Director
- “Faux Solo” (2016) short dance film, Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC
- Blind Beginnings (2015), Classics Agency, Vancouver, BC
Commissioned Interdisciplinary Works
- By Nancy Lee (director, visuals), Laine Butler (visuals, installation), Kiran Bhumber (music), Ralph Escamillan (choreography), Sophia Wolfe (dance), and Alex Tam (dance).
- Live audio-visual performance with dance.
- Performance: The Courtyard Commission, October 22, 2016, commissioned by Ismaili Centre, Burnaby, BC.
Houle and Brown duo (2015) – The Gold Saucer, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Original visual content created using CoGe VJ and recorded video content.
- Commissioned by Oliver Brown (University of New South Wales) and François Houle (University of British Columbia).
Pendula Exhibit (2014-2016)
- Hardware and Software: Arduino, Max/MSP and Resolume
- Swing set design, installation and videos by Nancy Lee; electroacoustics and software design by Kiran Bhumber
- New Forms Festival ‘16, October 7-8, 2017, commissioned by New Forms Media Society
- 2015 Vancouver TD International Jazz Festival, commissioned by The Coast Jazz Society with support from the BC Arts Council and VIVO Media Arts.
- 2015 Vancouver Mini Maker Faire, PNE Forum, June 6-7 2015, Vancouver, BC Canada.
- LIGHT EXPO ’14, Vancouver Art and Leisure Centre, November 21st, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Interdisciplinary performance for the Mania Mag Launch (2015)
- Textile and live video projection installation
- In collaboration with Ralph Escamillian (dance), Kevin Frazer (dance), and Cydney Eva (costume designer)
- Exhibition: El Kartel, Vancouver, BC
- By Nancy Lee (visuals, dance), Kiran Bhumber (clarinet, code) and Dr. Norah Lorway (code)
- Live audio-visual performance with dance and live coding
- Modalmix: an A/V evening, The Revolver, Taipei, Taiwan, July 26th, 2016.
- EEVS Project 視聽計畫, Freedom Man Apartment Studio, Taichung, Taiwan, July 24th, 2016.
- International Conference on Live Coding, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, October 16th, 2016.
- New Interfaces for Musical Expressions, New Globe Theatre, Brisbane, Australia, July 13th, 2016
- BENT: A Showcase of Circuit Bending & Glitch Series, VIVO Media Arts Centre, Vancouver, BC, November 7th, 2015.
- By Nancy Lee (swings), Kiran Bhumber (clarinet), Clara Shandler (cello) and Neelamjit Dhillion (bansuri, tabla)
- TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival, Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, BC, June 21-22nd 2015.
- Live audio-visual performance by Nancy Lee (visuals), Kent Stephany (sampler), and Allan Rodger (Moog, bass guitar, keyboard)
- SubShop, Fox Cabaret, Vancouver, BC, May 7 2014.
- By Nancy Lee (visuals, vocals) and Sean Oh (DJ)
- The Not Sent Letter Project, Western Front, Vancouver, BC, May 4 2013.
“Faux Solo” (2016)
- Opine Dance Film Festival, Atlanta, March 11th, 2017.
- Short.Sweet.Film Fest., Ohio, March 3-5th, 2017.
- Set.Me. Free (Flat Association), Venice, Italy, Feb-May 2017 monthly screenings.
- Festival de Cortometrajes "Jose Francisco Rosado" PACAS, Spain, January 7th, 2017.
- Szczecin European Film Festival, Poland, October 14-25th, 2016.
- Directed by Women - Short and Fun in NYC, NYC, Sept 1st-30th, 2016.
- Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC, June 17-19th, 2016.
“Where the Year Begins in Taiwan” (2015)
- Short film (2:00) examining aural and visual sensations at a temple in Taiching, Taiwan on Chinese New Year in 2015.
- Screening curated by Paul Wong: Year of the Monkey, Vancouver Art and Leisure Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
“pan opticon” (2015)
- Analogue video installation on 9 CRT TVs
- Exhibition: 19th Annual Eastside Culture Crawl, The Studio at Creative Coworkers, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 19th-22nd, 2015
Scouts Honor presented by the Basement 6 Collective (2014)
- Video projections and interactive textile installations
- In collaboration with Katy Roseland (textile installation)
- Exhibition: Y/Ys, Shanghai, China
“Motion in a motionless space” (2014)
- Video projection installation and 8 swing sets
- Exhibition: LIFTED, The Loft, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
“Concrete Dreams” (2013)
- Short film, video projection installation
- Screened at The Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
“Bushes & Zombies” (2013)
- Short film, video projection installation
- Screened at The Walforf Hotel, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Films / Videos
Beautiful Eyes (2015)
- Documentary (5:12) about an 80 year old woman who has never been to a hospital undergoing cataract surgery during her first ever hospital visit.
- In collaboration with Pranav Foundation and Unite For Sight.
- Documentary (5:59) about an elderly man from the slums of Chennai, India receiving cataract surgeries and sharing his story about his struggle his marriage, suicide and blindness.
- In collaboration with Pranav Foundation and Unite For Sight.
“Sexy Asian Men? Examining the Desexualization of Asian Men in the Media” (2013)
- Documentary (6:00) exploring parallels between Asia and America’s socio-economic history and the evolution of Asian men’s sexual representation in Western media.
“Growing Bananas in Vancouver” (2010)
- Three part documentary (30:00) exploring intergenerational relationships in Chinese-Canadian families in Vancouver
- In collaboration with Vania Chan (co-director), with supervision from Dr. Henry Yu (University of British Columbia)
Arts Event Production & Curatorial Projects
Chapel Sound Long Weekends 2017
- Organizer, curator and stage manager, 200-500 attendees
- Hosted at Vancouver Art & Leisure, Vancouver, BC, February 2016-present.
Chapel Sound 4 Year Anniversary
- Organizer, curator and stage manager, ~500 attendees
- Hosted at Vancouver Art & Leisure, Vancouver, BC, September 30, 2016.
Vancouver Mural Festival presents Chapel Sound
- Organizer, curator and stage manager, ~200 attendees
- Hosted at The Anza Club, Vancouver, BC, August 20, 2016.
Chapel Sound Festival
- Director, ~400 attendees
- Hosted at Red Gate Art Society, Gold Saucer and SKIO Music, Vancouver, BC, May 20-22, 2016.
Women in Video/Film Production Meet-Up
- Host and organizer of tri-monthly event, ~40 attendees
- Hosted at The Studio at Creative Coworkers, Vancouver, BC, July 2015- present.
Chapel Sound 3 Year Anniversary
- Organizer, performance curator and stage manager, ~400 attendees
- Hosted at Red Gate Arts Society, Vancouver, BC, September 13, 2015.
LIFTED presented by Chapel Sound
- Host, production manager and curator of bimonthly electronic music show, ~250 attendees
- Hosted at The Loft and Makers Lab, Vancouver, BC, March 2013-July 2014.
- Video Production Instructor for Syrian Refugee Youth, Step Up Program, S.U.C.C.E.S.S., Vancouver, BC, January - March 2017
Board and Jury Experience
- 2015-present: Youth Commissioning Fund Jury, Festival of Recorded Movement, Vancouver, BC
- 2015-present: Vice-President, Vancouver Art and Leisure Society, Vancouver, BC
- 2015-present: Director, Chapel Sound Art Foundation, Vancouver, BC